Re: [NTLK] serial ports (eg #3) questions

From: David Holmes (dh_ntlk_at_delphys.net)
Date: Fri Feb 21 2003 - 18:41:17 PST

Daniel Padilla wrote:

> port, you have to use the serial chip location option, with label
> kCMOSerialHWChipLoc:
>
> kHWLocExternalSerial "extr" Use the external serial port (typical default).

Ah-ha. Thanks. And thanks for the pointer to the
socket card.

> If you feel lucky, you can try this: :-)
>
> http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/diyserial.html

Ha - now that's my kind of project :-)
One has to like the hacker imperative.

How are you finding your built-in DIN works?
Are there any problems with the case flexing
etc. When I did this I used a CUI-Stack board-
mount part but it was a very tight fit - I had
to shave off the pins:

http://delphys.net/d.holmes/hardware/newton_DIN8.html

I think there is still some problems with contact
between the pins and the back of the body but it
works. And it isn't moving at all which I guess is
a good trade-off.

If it's ok with you I'll add a link to your pages
from my site,

--d

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html