Re: [NTLK] serial ports (eg #3) questions

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 09:50:16 PST

Quoting Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>:

> I'm mostly working from memory here, so apologies for any unintended
> slipups.
>
> You have to install a package on the Newton, IIRC it's called
> "ser115200.pkg" (there is even a "ser230400.pkg", but I've never tried
> that speed.

Yeah. These packages and the source are in the UnixNPI tarball:

http://unixnpi.sf.net/

> Next step is editing the .unixnpi.rc file (which you should have copied to
> your /home directory at installation, as the readme file says) and change
> the line "speed=xxxxxx" to the appropriate speed.

I don't think the latest version of UnixNPI use that file anymore. Instead,
the -s command-line option specifies the speed, like this:

$ unixnpi -s 57600 -d /dev/ttyS0 file_to_install.pkg

> You also need to set up a port, but that can easily be done by creating a
> symbolic link /dev/newton, pointing to /dev/ttySx (whatever the serial
> port is you hook your Newton on).

Also now a command-line option, -d. See my example above.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html