Re: [NTLK] serial ports (eg #3) questions

From: Karel Jansens (kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be)
Date: Sat Feb 22 2003 - 11:44:32 PST

On Saturday 22 February 2003 18:50, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Quoting Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>:
> > I'm mostly working from memory here, so apologies for any unintended
> > slipups.
> >
> > You have to install a package on the Newton, IIRC it's called
> > "ser115200.pkg" (there is even a "ser230400.pkg", but I've never tried
> > that speed.
>
> Yeah. These packages and the source are in the UnixNPI tarball:
>
> http://unixnpi.sf.net/
>
> > Next step is editing the .unixnpi.rc file (which you should have
> > copied to your /home directory at installation, as the readme file
> > says) and change the line "speed=xxxxxx" to the appropriate speed.
>
> I don't think the latest version of UnixNPI use that file anymore.
> Instead, the -s command-line option specifies the speed, like this:
>
> $ unixnpi -s 57600 -d /dev/ttyS0 file_to_install.pkg
>
> > You also need to set up a port, but that can easily be done by
> > creating a symbolic link /dev/newton, pointing to /dev/ttySx (whatever
> > the serial port is you hook your Newton on).
>
> Also now a command-line option, -d. See my example above.

I kinda like the UN*X way of text-based configuration files. They are
usually pretty transparent and quite easy to set up. Of course, if I
upgrade now I could always make a few shell-scripts, but for a program
like unixnpi, which doesn't tend to have changing parameters all that
often, a config file is a little bit easier.

Just my 2 eurocents...

--
Jazz.
NEW SIG-LINE EXPECTED REAL SOON!!!!!!