Re: [NTLK] Forum

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 22:45:36 EST

Anton wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 20:26, Victor Rehorst wrote:
>
>> Just using NNTP doesn't mean that you're connected to Usenet. Lugnet, the
>>LEGO Users' Group Network, uses NNTP and their own news servers as primary
>>discussion groups: they have their own internal hierarchy structure and
>>everything, but without all the crap, insecurity, and volume of Usenet.
>>
>>Hope that's clear now. It would be running on the Newtontalk server.
>

> There's a whole pile of FORUM which works better on a Wiki than on mail
> or anything that separates out the messages rather than the topics.

Uhm... I never brought up Wikis... but actually I've already set one up:

http://guelph.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

It's meant to be more of a nice searchable information repository. Not a
discussion board.

> NNTP is one hell of a footprint, not least of all at the client end, and
> with backup servers can be pretty bandwidth intense in its flood-fill
> algorithm. (I discussed this with Henry Spenser back in 82/83 when he
> and Jeff Collyer were redesigning and profiling it. Even later
> implementations can't get over that limitation because its there in the
> algorithm.)

Here's a newsreader for Windows in 680K (via tinyapps.org):
http://xnews.newsguy.com/

I personally use Agent, which is only 4MB installed:
http://www.forteinc.com/

And we're talking one group, on one server - sure it's a high-volume list, but
  not as high volume as many of the high-traffic (non-binary) Usenet groups.