Re: [NTLK] Forum

From: Anton (anton_at_the-wire.com)
Date: Tue Jan 07 2003 - 08:23:09 EST

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 22:45, Victor Rehorst wrote:

> Anton wrote:
> >
> > There's a whole pile of FORUM which works better on a Wiki than on mail
> > or anything that separates out the messages rather than the topics.
>
> Uhm... I never brought up Wikis... but actually I've already set one up:
>
> http://guelph.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/
>
> It's meant to be more of a nice searchable information repository. Not a
> discussion board.

Perhaps my experience with Wikis over the last few years, as well as
running internal ones for documentation and design and in 'read only
mode' as an easy way to build up a rich site, gives me a wider view of
their capability. What first attracted me was the 'full text search'
capability. That's great from the POV of a FAQ and repository, but
the reality is much more.

Certainly the Twiki developer's and support wikis at http://twiki.org
resemble "boards" more than they do mere repositories of support and
design information.

There is a protocol for Wikis to cross reference one another and
external web pages: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?InterWiki

Take a look for yourself at one of the high volume Wikis like

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl
http://purl.net/wiki/moin/
http://www.openwiki.com/
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki
http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/
http://i44pc48.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/cgi-bin/OrgPatterns
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Lego-Robotics/
http://www.advogato.org/
http://www.rur.com/APW/wiki.cgi/view/

and of course the original: http://c2.com/

You might also visit the coffee break http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/CoffeeBreak
and the support home page http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Support/WebHome
to see what an active, Wiki based community is like.

> And we're talking one group, on one server - sure it's a high-volume list, but
> not as high volume as many of the high-traffic (non-binary) Usenet groups.

A lot to the volume is mere repetition. And that's to say nothing of the
people who don't edit down the messages that they are replying to as
good etiquette would require.

Mind you, compared to the 14 other lists I'm on that consider themselves
"high volume", this one has about 3 times the traffic and about one fifth
the actual information content because of those repetitions.

Victor: How about adding "home pages" for registered subscribers like TWiki?
See mine at: http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Main/AntonAylward

--
Anton J Aylward - Newton 2100 Owner

Visit http://misato.chuma.org/wikiwikinewt