Re: [NTLK] Newton Connection Utilities Replacement?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 00:39:32 EST

on 10/01/03 00:27, deranian_at_att.net at deranian_at_att.net wrote:

> Hello All-
>
> I had Newton Connection Utilities working great with Jaguar 10.2.2 under
> Classic with AppleTalk activated. Now that I've updated to 10.2.3, NCU says
> that AppleTalk is not activated and the Chooser won't let me make AppleTalk
> active within Classic.
>
> AppleTalk is active under 10.2.3 as shown by my Network Preferences in OSX,
> but it seems that 10.2.3 has made a change in how it manages network
> connections which has made NCU pretty useless at this point.
>
> Is anyone else out there experiencing this problem under 10.2.3? If so, is
> there a solution? I'm aware of "NewTen" and "NewtSync" as OSX compatible
> links, but neither of them actually back up your entire Newton like NCU did.
> Is there anything out there that will back up the entire Newton that runs with
> OSX?
>
> I'll look forward to hearing everyone's feedback, and thanks for taking the
> time to respond.

I did export all my time entries from TimeReporter yesterday using their
transfer tool which, like NCU, uses AppleTalk, and didn't have any problem.
When I got home, I decided to do a backup of both my internal memory and my
32 MB flash RAM card (1/3 full). Didn't have any problem. I'm running 10.2.3
on my Pismo. I would suggest that you reboot in 9 and make sure that
AppleTalk is active. But NCU and TR Data Transfer both work through
AppleTalk in Classic. Heck, TR Data Transfer only a choice of "Printer",
"Modem" and "Printer/Modem" for the port (both of which my Pismo lacks) and
it did connect happily to my Newton!

-Laurent.

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style: brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute force and ignorance).