[NTLK] Smoking eMate

From: Chris (kristoff1_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 01:16:09 EST

Hi all. I'm new to the list and haven't found anything here relating to my
problem, so I hope someone can help.

Recently purchased an eMate off eBay that didn't include a power adapter, so
essentially it was being sold AS-IS. Looks pristine. I contacted my local
Apple reseller and purchased a new Newton Power Adapter (the 9W one that's
made for the eMate), plugged it in, and nothing happened. Except, it smelled
like something was burning. I unplugged the adapter from the eMate, and
noticed a wisp of white smoke emanating from the AC jack on the side of the
eMate. YIKES! Opened up the case only to discover some burn marks on the
"logic board" (forgive my ignorance) right near the power adapter jack.

What (if anything) can I do to resurrect my eMate. We bought it for our son
for Christmas, and he's asking me when he can use his new "Mactop" as he
calls it. Six-year-olds aren't very patient.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
kristoff1_at_sympatico.ca

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html