Re: [NTLK] Smoking eMate

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Jan 11 2003 - 16:17:02 EST

>Recently purchased an eMate off eBay that didn't include a power adapter, so
>essentially it was being sold AS-IS. Looks pristine. I contacted my local
>Apple reseller and purchased a new Newton Power Adapter (the 9W one that's
>made for the eMate), plugged it in, and nothing happened. Except, it smelled
>like something was burning. I unplugged the adapter from the eMate, and
>noticed a wisp of white smoke emanating from the AC jack on the side of the
>eMate. YIKES! Opened up the case only to discover some burn marks on the
>"logic board" (forgive my ignorance) right near the power adapter jack.

First of all, make sure your adapter doesn't provide more than 7.5 volt at the plug
that goes into the eMate. It is very unlikely, but it is not impossible that a newly
purchased original Apple adapter is defective.

After that, go here:

http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html

Remove the battery door (or, even better, remove the mainboard if you dare).
Take a picture of the area that appears to have smoked and mail it my way
(jpg format is enough, I pay internet access by the minute...)
After that I might be able to give more detailed tips.

If you want, you can send the mainboard or the eMate my way and I can
see what I can do.

If you decide to take it apart, make sure to check the hinge springs, see

http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

for details.

Good luck

Frank