Re: [NTLK] OT VGA Monitor vs OS 9. 2

From: johnsinho's! (johnsons_at_macbbs.com.br)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 10:54:46 EST

Tom McDougal wrote:
> ... I have a hand-me-down beige G3. The Apple monitor
> that came with it didn't give as clear a picture as the Sony
> Multiscan I had been using, so with the appropriate
> Mac-to-VGA adapter I have been using the latter.
> But: With OS 9 I get "Out of scan range" and no picture,
> whereas with OS X it works fine.
> Clearly the hardware is capable of driving this monitor.
> Question is, is there anything I can add to OS 9 so that I
> will be able to boot in 9 and get a picture?

Good you've asked. I live in a very similar world.
To write this I will assume that our VGA adapter is NOT the one that
bears a row of dip-switches (if it IS, we will have to find the right
match so you're not stuck to a fixed resolution - no wonder there are
more pins to Apple monitors/video cards).
The problem is that your OS9 is most likely set to above 1024x768, 60Hz,
which the Monitor won't handle. I had the same problem when it was set
to 72Hz.
I thought of several ways to go towards a solution. The cure should be
<restarting under 9 making the screen go to into 640x480 mode>.
1-I had reset the PRAM, AND the Open Firmware.
2-I had booted without extensions.
3-I trashed the Monitors Preferences, inside tne Monitors Preferences
Folder, inside the Preferences Folder, inside the System Folder of the
OS9 boot.
Before you totaly waste your time performing any of these smart but
ineffective hints, plug the old monitor back, set the resolution to
640x480, re-plug the new one and see if you can get an image. If you see
the desktop, restart the Mac so the Video card can read the new
permanent settings for the monitor through the adapter.
After restarting you shall be able to see other resolutions. But beware:
some of those resolutions will not work and there will be no warning,
leading you to the same old-and-new switch all over again. The higher
scan rates would only work through the additional pinnage on the Apple
Video card, present only in Apple monitors.
Good luck!
[ ],
johnsinho's!

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html