Re: [NTLK] wavelan drivers and dwl-650

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Jan 12 2003 - 12:00:28 EST

Andrew wrote:
> hello
> i bought a dwl-650 a while ago to use in a newton i was going to get,
> as it was supported by the wavelan drivers:
>
> http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm
>
> now it's crossed out and says not recommended. is anyone using this
> card?

I believe that was because later versions of this card are 3.3V, not 5V. The
driver (or the Newton hardware, I forget which) isn't able to detect if the
card should use 3.3 or 5, and always applies 5V to the card, which will damage
it and probably your Newton as well.

It's borne out in the archives as well, see these messages:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=103885751315306&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=103885773915534&w=2