Re: [NTLK] New Newton User

From: victor_at_newtontalk.net
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 09:23:04 EST

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Alexis da Silva-Mathieu pixelhaus_at_sympatico.ca
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 07:27:11 -0500
Subject: [NTLK] New Newton User

> - NewtWorks can't work on this model (correct?), so what word processor
>can I get on it? I'd like something slightly more elaborate than Notes :)

Correct. There is AvailWorks, a commercial software by PelicanWare:
http://www.pelicanware.com/products.html

> - Are there dictionaries/translators available (french/english,
>frenchORenglish/german, etc) for download?

Look at Paul Guyot's DictMgr:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dicts_and_kits/

> - I'm getting "low or missing back-up battery" warning messages
>whenever I restart the MP after recharging my batteries (which I have to
>take out of the MP), and thus the clock resets to 1995; what kind of
>back-up battery is it? Where should I look to get a new one?

The 1x0 models use a lithium coin-cell backup battery, I believe it is a
CR2032 or DL2032 (depending on the manufacturer, the number 2032 is the
important bit)

> - A silly one: I'm not colour-blind, but the casing looks dark green >instead of black, is this typical of MP 130s?

Yes.

>Next up: getting this baby online with a 14.4k modem :)
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated!

You should start with downloading the manuals for your 130 and giving them
a good read:
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/OMP-130/

Check out the Newton Handbook especially.

-Victor

This message has been posted from Mail2Web http://www.mail2web.com/
Web Hosting for $9.95 per month! Visit: http://www.yourhosting.com/

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html