Re: [NTLK] OT Safari does damage...

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 09:26:28 EST

Concerning the 30 delay.....

A simple test for a possible problem:

   1. Execute a session with TERMINAL.

   2. Enter the following at the command prompt:

          top -u

You will see a list of processes running on your Mac. The list will be
sorted in the order of CPU time being used by each process, from highest at
the top. Take note of any process that has exceptionally large CPU time.
It is quite likely that there may be on process 'hogging' the cpu. IN my
system it it HP SCANJET.

   3. Press "q" to stop the display from 'top'.

   4. Note the PID (process identification number) from the first column in
the report for the process that is hogging the cpu. Then at the TERMINAL
command prompt enter:

          kill nnn (where nnn is the PID observed in the previous step.)

   5. Repeat the 'top -u' command and determine that the process has been
removed from the system.

Hopefully this will have cured the problem. There is a severe problem with
the USB drivers in Jaguar that is utilized by Hewlett Packard for printers
and scanners using the USB input/output system. (Thank you, Steve Jobs, for
the "wonderful" UNIX briar patch called OS X.) Or, you may have some other
software that is tangled up in OS X for different reasons.

...or, you have uncovered some other condition in OS X that I don't know
anything about. :-)

Good luck.

Richard.

--