Re: [NTLK] Ata memory question !

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 03:18:36 EST

Ted Ramsden <tramsden_at_shaw.ca> wrote:

> A few people have suggested that I grab a Compact Flash PCMCIA
adapter
> and toss in a 24 mb card and get paul's ATA driver ! How easy is it
> use, and how reliable ?

Well, ease of use is simplicity in itself: install the driver (best
use the demo version first), insert the card, and select your
partition size. After that, use it like you would any other memory
card.

As for reliability, Paul says there may be data loss issues, but I
haven't lost any data -- but then again, I do have a good backup.

I use my card (a 16MB card -- of which I only have access to 4MB, as I
am still running the demo) to hold packages on my e-mate. Works fine,
thus far.

> I will be leaving north america at the end of January
> and will not have access to a mac or sutiable computer to download or
> back-up with ?!?!? Is this going to be a problem !?!?!

Well, yes and no.

Some people go through life without ever doing a backup, and,
amazingly enough, never have any problems.

If you're one of those people, then you should have no problems.

But if I were you, I'd see if I could find a cheap laptop (5300s are
going for $150, I hear ....).

Good luck, either way!

> Ted

--gdw