Re: [NTLK] Newtscape - Newton book from multiple pages...

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 04:48:00 EST

> From: "David Orriss Jr" <dave_at_davenet.net>
> Subject: [NTLK] Newtscape - Newton book from multiple pages...
>
> Hey,
>
> I wanna make a newton book from the Linux Kernel HOWTO:
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
>
> But the howto has a lot of links in it, and that's fine because then I can (I
> believe) make a book from the pages and include the links via Newtscape. But
> my
> question is, can Newtscape 'spider' down those links and pre-cache the pages,
> or
> will I have to visit each link and then make a book from all of it manually.

you can use Schedule (Now or Later) and select a Link depth -- if you're
careful (know about the page structure) and have enough memory...

once cached, you could use Process to save a bunch of individual pages as
book packages.

a big caveat: if the documents have short, unique filenames (probably all in
one directory), you should have relatively good luck with all of the links
automagically working between books. however, if many of them are named
index.html or default.htm or are longer than 14 chars, things can work but
get messy. (the basic problem is that the unique book id (isbn) is 14-chars;
when you follow a link between books, Newt's Cape checks if that filename
(last part of URL) exists as a book, if so, it'll open it -- and that book
knows its full URL for resolving its own relative links; however, since only
one book can exist with a given isbn (filename), you'd have to do some
manual editing to set specific ISBNs (and fixup links) for documents with
the same filename... (this is described in the docs and examples; look for
discussions/uses of META tag)

p.s. for NewtonTalkers: I'll be checking email sporadically over next ~2
weeks, so may not get back to individuals right away (and might not read
this list at all).

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com