[NTLK] Who the heck is Philz?

From: gmoody_at_gmx.net
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 16:13:42 PDT

Hi Folks,

Okay, Philz was hacking newton hardware and architecture back in the old
days (NOS 1=2E3 and 2=2E0)=2E He developed a number of unique tools to ex=
amine
the internal structure of the docking protocols and memory card maps=2E H=
is
stated goal was to duplicate the Newton environment so that it would be
cross-platform (i=2Ee=2E another PDA with Newton attributes, NewtonScript,=

soups, etc=2E), as opposed to the GNUton project, which was to develop a
Newton emulator for a desktop=2E

Philz was one of the first truly technical folks to try to dissassemble an=
understand the software guts of the Newton, and was pretty successful at
it=2E If his research can help feed existing developers (Paul and others)=

with needed architectural information so that we, as a community, can have=

new programming and functionality or even a cross-platform Newton software=

base, then $15 is chickenfeed for the upside potential to the Newton
community at large=2E

Just an explanation of who Philz is, and what the potntial *might* be=2E=2E=
=2E

Regards,

Gary