Re: [NTLK] Newton Development and should I upgrade. . .

From: Eckhart Köppen (eck1001_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2003 - 21:59:14 PDT

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:13:31 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Lorengo wrote:
> I have an MP130 which I love (as well as another 130
> and a 120 too). I am getting a bad case of 2x00 envy
> though and was wondering if I should upgrade or not.
>
> What are the pros and cons?

No cons, get one ;) - a MP2100 is best and the worn ones from J&K sales
are quite cheap and usually in good enough shape.

> Also, I would like to try my hand at developing new
> apps for the newton. I use a PowerMac 8600/300 (which
> is networked to my 17" iMac) to connect to my newton
> and was wondering what would tools I would need to
> take a crack at progarmming for this amazing device?

Get the NewtonDev.sit archive from UNNA, it should contain everything
you need. Then, try some of the sample code, read the Programmer's
Guide and you should be all set. In addition to that, "Programming for
the Newton using Macintosh" is on UNNA in a file named
ProgNewtUsingMac.zip, it is an excellent tutorial.

Eckhart

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html