Re: [NTLK] OT: eWorld--for what it's worth

From: Matt Janeczek (MJJ14_at_aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 14 2003 - 20:53:59 PDT

 Wow, for those of us still in OS 9 world, it would have been cool to see an
updated version of it. I really do miss those days, like I said before,
whendialing online in my cold dark basement with one dim light on was the
coolest thing ever. Sigh... Everything is too commercialized now, and a
lotof the appeal the internet once had for me is now gone. :-(
James Buxton wrote:

The eWorld client software was essentially AOL 2.x client software with a
new, Apple graphic user interface. Not only was eWorld great looking, it wa=

way ahead of its time, offering features that AOL still doesn=B9t have. I
liked eWorld so much that I swapped a few simple resources in the eWorld
software so that it worked on AOL for years, until AOL stopped supporting
version 2.x.

Because adapting the original eWorld client software any further was too
complicated for me, and because I still liked the look and feel of eWorld, =

wrote my own online client using the same eWorld town squares, other graphi=

elements, sounds, etc. It not only controlled AOL functions, but POP and
IMAP mail, Web stuff, and to a small degree, my MessagePads. On my
PowerBook, the eWorld mail truck delivered mail to the town square for seve=

years after eWorld folded.

This all came to nothing, however, because of my switch to Mac OS X. My
eWorld app was Classic only, and I didn=B9t plan on going through all the
wor=
to write it for X, so I put a bullet in it.

Regards,

Jim

--
This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/[1] for all