Re: [NTLK] Upgrading, emates, etc.

From: Dylan Stewart (rxs015500_at_utdallas.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 11:17:30 PDT

On 2003-06-11 at 10:08:27, Jon Wright wrote:
> I purchased an eMate for my son, opened it up (following the
> instructions on the web), installed two microscopic washers (they were
> real hard to find) and put everything back together. The washers will
> prevent the hinge springs from puncturing the cable at any time in the
> future. If you can't find the right washers locally, I can post a
> couple in the mail (from Australia!).

I never was able to find washers that small, so I just asked my step-dad to
machine a custom part from a license plate. Almost any kind of sheet metal
can be used, we just picked license plate because we had one laying around.

Strangely enough, my eMate's cable was never damaged. All four of the
clutch springs popped out and the cable was repeatedly caught between the
springs and the hinge, but somehow, it survived with only a small amount of
stretching.

I ended up giving it to my little brother who wanted a Newton from the day
that I got mine. I couldn't really use it because of the memory
limitations, but I do memory intensive stuff like E-mail and web browsing.
Last I heard, he hasn't had any problems with it.

> If you are buying an eMate, it is worth paying for the one with the
> extra memory (at least until the new memory boards are available - as
> discussed previously on this list). Unlike the 2000/2100 there is only
> one slot so a network card implies no storage.

I wonder what would happen if more than 2 MB of FLASH were put onto the
expansion card. The Newton should recognize up to 16 MB total internal
FLASH, right? So put as much on the card as possible and then you would
have an eMate with plenty of storage. Since I've never heard of 7 MB chips,
I would assume that the max would be two 4 MB chips if they have to be
identical and an 8 and a 4 if they can be different. That would certainly
take care of most of the problem with having a single PCMCIA slot.

 Dylan Stewart AC5ZH

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html