Re: [NTLK] 802.11b on an SMC router?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 20:42:11 PDT

on 20/06/03 18:22, Michael at i36835_at_bestweb.net wrote:

> I've been trying to get my Newton (2000u) to connect to my 802.11b network.
> I installed the WaveLan drivers, and used my Dell TrueMobile 1150 PC Card
> (which the WL driver's site says is supported), but the Newton couldn't
> recognize it. The exact message being "There is a problem with this card.
> (Newton cannot recognize this type of card.)"
> Any ideas why? Is there something I just don't understand? (I am relatively
> new to Newton-- see, the community is expanding...)
>
> Another (related) question. My router is an SMC (7004AWBR, if anyone cares).
> Does that matter, because I've only really seen the WaveLan driver mentioned
> as working with an AirPort router, which I don't have.

Most of the time, this kind of error (where your card is not recognized) is
because you haven't installed all the packages from the "Newton Internet
Enabler" archive, or, if you're sure you installed them, you did install
them on an external flash RAM card. All packages (except the Internet Setup
and ISP Template packages) have to be installed on the internal memory of
your Newton. Then, you also need to make sure that the Wavelan driver is
also installed on the internal store. The Wavelan driver depends on the
packages in the NIE archive, so those packages have to load first. Once you
got them installed, do a soft reset.

-Laurent.

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes
willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian
format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI
problem.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html