[NTLK] UPS TrackPad - Based on Newton 130

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 10:29:51 PST

Chuck,

See http://www.pda-soft.de/130_disassemble.html and
http://www.pda-soft.de/mp130fixes.html

> the other boots into "UPS TrackPad version 1.25".
> It seems to be a custom rom that they designed to
> track packages

I doubt that very much. If you did a hard reset and it still
boots into that program, I'd trade you a normal 130 ROM for yours.
How to do a hard reset is also described on the disassembly page
mentioned above.

Peter said:

>> Before the brainwipe , Maybe upload it to Unna first

> Good idea, but he seems to be having a heck of a time getting
> the Newton to do anything, so getting it off may not be that easy.

If you manage to get

http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/DataRescue/DataRescue.pkg

on a Memory card and NCU (Newton Connection Utilities) on a Mac
or PC, it's not too difficult. Plug in the memory card, don't forget
to lock the card switch at the back, connect the 130 to the PC and
start up NCU. On switching the 130 on DataRescue will start looking
for a connection and connect to NCU. You can then make a backup and
do the hard reset thing afterwards. I'm doing this all the time with
Newtons that are semi-dead, but still able to connect.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html