Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Difficulties

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 15:20:22 PST

on 23/03/03 13:13, Ben Lamb at msc7.tsk2_at_cox.net wrote:

> I am using a NMP 2K with a Macintosh G3 DT. My problem resides in
> connecting to the Newton Connection Utilities through my ethernet
> LAN. I have read several accounts in the Newtontalk newsletter
> indicating success using both Asantetalk and the 3com card to connect
> to NCU via ethernet. I have never been able to connect using my
> Asantetalk and while the 3com will connect to NCU, I can only load
> packages and do nothing else. On the other hand, when I use the
> dongle through the G3 printer port, everything is A-OK. I can BU,
> Sync, export and all the nice things you want to do externally. The
> tediousness of using the printer port is that everything is ethernet
> based and there is a lot of fussing with appletalk connections to use
> the Newton. Can anyone suggest places to look to unravel this
> mytery? Maybe there is a software package that should be installed
> or updated?

I don't understand. If you have an Ethernet card, why bother with the
AsanteTalk? You shouldn't need it, but you will need to connect your Newton
to your Ethernet hub or switch. If I don't understand, please clarify.

-Laurent.

code police n.: [by analogy with George Orwell's `thought police'] A
mythical team of Gestapo-like storm troopers that might burst into one's
office and arrest one for violating programming style rules. May be used
either seriously, to underline a claim that a particular style violation is
dangerous, or ironically, to suggest that the practice under discussion is
condemned mainly by anal-retentive weenies. "Dike out that goto or the code
police will get you!" The ironic usage is perhaps more common.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html