Re: [NTLK] Special treatment for newbies?

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 14:16:25 PST

On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 01:54:40PM -0800, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Say you've just purchased the latest whiz-bang widget and want to start using
> it ASAP to organize your frim-fram collection. But when you press the
> actuator doohickey, nothing happens. Along with your whiz-bang you got two
> other things: a manual, and a slip of paper with a toll-free phone support
> number. Do you read the manual first, or call the number?
>
> My opinion is that most (80%) of people with an average amount of technical
> experience will call the number before opening the manual.

Hmmm... I can understand widget-lovers buying the latest gadget in order
to have it, but those are the sorts that read FAQs anyway. I can also
understand the people who just want things to work, but those seem like
the sort to stick with something that works as long as it works, and be
resistant to change. I guess I have trouble understanding people that
must have cool gadgets but don't have interest in understanding how to
use the gadget. Why buy a Ferrari, if you're going to bitch that it
doesn't have automatic transmission? (:

--
Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world