Re: [NTLK] Jaggies on MP2000?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 09:56:46 PDT

From the concensus of opinion on this list, there are
three possible causes of Jaggies:
1) corroded electrical contacts on the touchscreen
connectors. This is a problem because of the imbalance
caused by dissimilar metals being in contact. Exposed
to oxygen, it will oxidize very quickly
2) erratic preasure somewhere else on the touchscreen.
This is evidenced by moving a business card underneath
the perrimeter of the display and by someone on this
list trimming the plastic flashing.
3) software. Some software seems to cause a Jaggie
like symptom. This is rare, but some affected
individuals insist that the fix was by removing the
bad software.

In the case of number one, a flexing of the MP2100
case temporarily cures the jaggies by either:
repositioning the crud or dirt underneath the
perimeter of the display, or by causing the electrical
contacts to "scratch" a cleaner contact surface.

Eventually, jaggies cause by item 2 will become
permanent if not cleaned by damaging the touchscreen.
Note to experimenters...if the touchscreen is
replaced, are the jaggies resolved?

So, you need to attempt all three fixes to determine
which is the one that is causing your jaggies. Problem
1 can only be solved by dissembling the Newt and
burnishing the contacts and coating in a solution to
prevent future corrosion.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Laurent Daudelin <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:
> On 06/05/03 16:02, "Stephen Jendraszak"
> <stevehj_at_mac.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey all. I know I haven't posted for a fair while,
> but school's been
> > pretty hectic, so I hope you'll forgive me. :)
> >
> > In the meantime, I have a question.
> >
> > We hear quite a lot on this list about the
> "jaggies" problem that
> > strikes 2100s. My dad has bought two 2100s, both
> of which have become
> > infested. My 2000, on the other hand, has been
> trouble-free for years.
> > I am wondering if this is indicative of a general
> trend? Are 2000s
> > naturally less inclined to get the jaggies -- or
> even immune?
> >
> > And, if 2000s ARe generally more safe investments,
> does the same hold
> > true for 2000s that have been upgraded with 2100
> motherboards? In other
> > words, does whatever causes the jaggie problem
> reside on the
> > motherboard, or elsewhere in the unit?
> >
> > I'm wondering, basically, if he should replace his
> failing 2100s with a
> > 2000u unit (instead of another 2100), and whether
> it is safe to upgrade
> > my 2000 with a 2100 motherboard. I appreciate the
> help-
> >
> > sj
> >
> > http://homepage.mac.com/jendra/stevehj
>
> Based on what I did observe, it seems like the 2000
> units, upgraded or not,
> don't seem to develop the jaggies problem as often
> as 2100. I recently broke
> the screen on my upgraded 2000, that I had been
> using for over a year
> without a single odd behavior relating to the
> jaggies. It always been
> perfect. So, I had to switch to my spare, which was
> my original 2100, in the
> same state than it was after I had it serviced.
> About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I
> started experiencing the jaggies. When it gets
> worst, I borrowed an idea
> from someone here, don't remember if it was our
> friend Ed Kummel, but I flex
> the case 2 or 3 times and that brings it back to
> normal operation, but it's
> really getting annoying. I'm thinking to switch to
> my upgraded 2000 that
> didn't have this problem and keep the 2100 as a
> spare, just in case.
>
> BTW, based on the symptoms and the remedies I'm
> taking (flexing the case),
> could some jaggies experts comment about what could
> be possibly wrong? I've
> read 2 different theories so far, one about dirty
> connectors from the
> touchscreen to the mobo, the other one, I think was
> from Marco Mailand, was
> excessive pressure from the case onto the
> touchscreen or something like
> that. So, based on the flexing, what you guys think
> could be wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Laurent.

=====
"If the nation escalates to 'red alert', you will de assumed by athorities to be the enemy if you so much as venture outside your home."
 - Sid Caspersen, NJ's director of the office of counter-terrorism