Re: [NTLK] Deep discharging Li-Ion ceels

From: Frank Gruendel (fg2_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 11:30:19 PDT

> As for running a Li-ion cell down to nothing, there seems to be some
> indications that this actually contributes to the effect described
> above.

This would be an understatement. Running Li-Ion cells down to nothing
is one of the easiest and most reliable ways to kill them. Fortunately,
this doesn't happen very often since they have next to no self-discharge
and a built-in electronics normally prevents deep discharge. This
electronics, however, is also the reason why you can't revive this type
of cells by brute force as you can with NiCad and NiMH. Not that I would
like to try, though. Li-Ion cells frequently develop an annoying desire
to explode if they feel they aren't charged the way they are entitled
to.

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html