Re: [NTLK] [OT] Horrible airport reception PB G4 Ti

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 11:32:43 PDT

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 12:16 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> I can't believe how TERRIBLE the built in airport antenna in this unit
> is...
> <snip>

Thanks for the ideas and the links....

Today I noticed that when I opened the internet connect application it
seemed to show a pretty good looking signal bar, even when the PB
couldn't get an address via airport DHCP...

The Wavelan card works perfectly from the same spot. So I started
thinking about this and it occurred to me that these two different
cards are using different software to push them. The wavelan card is
using the open source wireless driver, while the airport card is using
Apple's driver.

Upon reflection I decided that perhaps there was some issue with
apple's driver trying to negotiate it's DHCP lease with my AP (Netgear
MR 314). Now mind you this AP works great with the Open source driver
as well as with the Newton wireless driver.

Anyhow at Netgears site I found a firmware update for the base station,
  which was very easy to install right from my browser (Safari). This
is pretty cool... Doing a firmware update from a wireless browser.
Although it clearly shows that you MUST change the default admin
password or your wide open for trouble.

Anyhow, after doing the update and letting the router restart... I am
now able to connect better and I am listening to a 96K itunes stream as
I sit on the previously out of range couch (25 feet from the base!).

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html