Re: [NTLK] writers and newtons

From: Thomas Hart (those_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 11:28:31 PDT

I got my first Newton in December of 2000 while I was writing my PhD. At
first I only used it for notes from books I was reading, it was perfect
since one book and one Newton fit in the Apple nylon case just
perfectly. Over time though I found the constant transition from Newton
to paper to laptop and back. I also realised tat making some adjustments
to the HWR made a big difference, both on the Newt itself and some third
party stuff. After about four months of correcting words (I wrote my
thesis in philosophy, using ancient greeks to read nietzsche, so there
were shed loads of names and terms for the Newton to learn) it was
simply faster and better to stick to the Newton for all writing and note
taking and then transfer things to the PB G3 Wallstreet for editing and
formating. I even gave stuff to my supervisor to read on the Newton. His
initial reaction was of fear and future shock, but at a seminar a couple
of weeks later he aksed, and I quote: "where might one acquire such a
device?"
    The short of it is that I not only wrote 90% of my thesis on the
Newton, but have since written reviews and articles on it and have used
almost no paper other than that required by university administrators
who require hard copies for archives. I have a library of philosophy
texts that I converted into Newton Books (preference for the Newton
Press method. Though it is a lot more work, you end up with texts that
have chapter and heading links) from public domain text archives.
    My advice is to go with the Newton, give it some time to learn your
handwriting and make sure you go to the word list and add the expansions
that you find convenient and add words that are out of the ordinary.

Thomas

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html