Re: [NTLK] writers and newtons

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1969 - 16:38:26 PST

>> But I have to ask: can you write as fast on your Newton as you can on
>> paper? In making copious notes for a new book, I started off using the
>> Newton but just found my Newton writing couldn't keep up with my
>> brain--I went back to using mostly paper for this. I got tired of
>> having to correct words so often

One thing I discovered in college, making copious notes, is that while I can
write faster than the Newton could keep up with, I can't read what I write
that fast. It all becomes indecipherable scribbly lines. At least, with the
Newton, I'm forced to write legibly, which in the end, is a great bonus, as
it improved my handwriting, and also produced product that was already in
digital form. I would rather slow down and kill two birds with one stone (or
a whole flock with a shotgun) than write very fast, and then struggle a few
days/weeks/months later trying to decipher it, while typing it into the
computer.

For the record, I can handwrite at most 45 wpm, yet I can type over 60. My
handwriting is _never_ as fast as my typing. (Although I would not want to
be somebody sitting next to me while typing...)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland