[NTLK] mp3, mad max and ata

From: Edward Humes (ehumes_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 17:31:09 PDT

Anyone know how to coax audio files onto an ata flash card on the
newton? my attempts just cause a system crash.

Here's where I'm at:
mp 2100
220 mb san disk flash card
paul's ata support driver (may 8 build)
mad max
mad newton
nhttplib for the fetch url function in the in-box

1. the driver installs successfully, with reg code from Paul
2. the card partitions (3 equal stores)
3. i can save a note to a store, unmount stores, remove the card, put
it back, and the note is there.
4. i downloaded via ncu daniel padilla's mp3bullder package onto the
ata store. It created an audio soup. The song title appears in mad max
and plays just fine. this is supposed to be the all important first
file that makes the fetch function work.
5. when i try to fetch url an mp3 file (about 4.1 mb) from my server,
the connection is made, the download dialogue appears on my newton, but
the progress bar never budges and nothing actually loads onto my card.
the wireless lan card led does not blink. the newton freezes and has
to be restarted.
6. fetch url successfully downloads the same file onto my regular
linear flash card. progress bar moves, light blinks, process takes a
while, but gets done.
7. when i try to refile the mp3 from my linear flash to the larger ata
card (which I hope to use as for music storage), the newton freezes
again and has to be restarted.

I am stumped. Is the problem that ata cards and mp3 files don't mix
well on the newton? I know there are list members who use their newtons
for music players -- how do you work around this?

Thanks
Ed Humes

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html