Re: [NTLK] OMP Battery Life

From: Darrell Greenwood (lists1_at_telus.net)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 16:36:28 PDT

On 5/23/03 at 2:01 PM -0500, Matt Janeczek wrote the following :

> Is it safe to tape over that probe to let the MessagePad charge itself? I
>had planned on getting 1600 mAh super-expensive NiMH batteries at Radio
>Shackfor maximum life. If the Newton can safely recharge them by doing that
>modification, that would allow me to bypass buying an external charger.
>Thanks!

and

On 5/23/03 at 3:39 PM -0400, Peter Cameron wrote the following :

> The OMP circuitry is not designed to charge NiMH cells. It was
>made to charge NiCd so charging NiMH cells (which can get very hot
>during charging) could be a hazard.
>
>Peter

I originally taped over the probe many years ago and had Nicads in
the cage. When I saw the AAA 700 mAh NiMh I bought and used them for
the last two or three years (I switched to a 2100 this year).

I have not noticed any significant warmth from battery charging but I
use the Newton H1300 charger that came with the Newton and I am
probably getting current limiting from it or the Newton's internal
circuitry. (Coincidentally the MP100 has been on the charger for the
last 24 hours, I just checked and the batteries are cold)

Are you sure those 1600 mAh are AAA and not AA?

Cheers,

Darrell

p.s. the probe needs to be depressed a bit more than just tape will
do, I have a tiny piece of plastic between it and the tape.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html