Re: [NTLK] OMP Battery Life

From: Matt Janeczek (MJJ14_at_aol.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 18:44:13 PDT

 You are probably right about the 1600 mAh... I was thinking of some AA's I
have. I am sure the AAA's don't come that high but I had planned on getting
the highest capacity that they make. So you have no problems charging them
in your Newton? I know though that the charging cycle is different for
NiCadand NiMH batteries, because I have a charger at home that has settings
for both, so perhaps you may not be getting the full potential out of yours,
even though it may seem like they are being charged okay. I just don't want
to damage anything...
Darrell Greenwood wrote:

On 5/23/03 at 2:01 PM -0500, Matt Janeczek wrote the following :

>Is it safe to tape over that probe to let the MessagePad charge itself? I
>had planned on getting 1600 mAh super-expensive NiMH batteries at Radio
>Shackfor maximum life. If the Newton can safely recharge them by doing
that
>modification, that would allow me to bypass buying an external charger.
>Thanks!

and

On 5/23/03 at 3:39 PM -0400, Peter Cameron wrote the following :

> The OMP circuitry is not designed to charge NiMH cells. It was
>made to charge NiCd so charging NiMH cells (which can get very hot
>during charging) could be a hazard.
>
>Peter

I originally taped over the probe many years ago and had Nicads in
the cage. When I saw the AAA 700 mAh NiMh I bought and used them for
the last two or three years (I switched to a 2100 this year).

I have not noticed any significant warmth from battery charging but I
use the Newton H1300 charger that came with the Newton and I am
probably getting current limiting from it or the Newton's internal
circuitry. (Coincidentally the MP100 has been on the charger for the
last 24 hours, I just checked and the batteries are cold)

Are you sure those 1600 mAh are AAA and not AA?

Cheers,

Darrell

p.s. the probe needs to be depressed a bit more than just tape will
do, I have a tiny piece of plastic between it and the tape.

--
This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/[1] for all
inquiries