Re: [NTLK] People Still Recognize the Newton

From: Sean McGroty (cleophus_at_pemberley.dyndns.org)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 19:56:32 PDT

On Friday 23 May 2003 15:56, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> Quoting Eric Schneck <eschneck_at_mindspring.com>:
>> I was in a meeting Wednesday with someone from our London office.
>> When I put my Newt on the table, he asked "Is that a Newton? Does it
>> run on vacuum tubes?"
>>
>> And then I was accused of being defensive of my Newt. Me?

> Okay, now I have to chime in. I had an impromptu conversation about
> handheld devices the other day with an SVP of Marketing (don't let the
> title fool you, he's definately tech-enabled) when he saw my 2100
> sitting on my Hi-Rizer portable stand. Turns out he was a Psion user
> for a while, then bought an iPaq and hated it. Much bashing of Wince
> ensued, followed by searching through the shelf of cool surplus
> hardware
> to find an Ericsson phone that is also a Psion PDA. It was a pretty
> cool design.

My Newton is a big hit with the local Apple Store employees. I had it
when I was in line on opening day, and not only were the people next to
me impressed, the photographer took pictures of me using it. When I was
writing some stuff on it while I was in the store, someone came up to
me and said "We have a piece of Apple history here." Of course, I gave
a good show with handwriting recognition, some Internet browsing, and
even streaming an MP3.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html