Re: [NTLK] Problems getting the WaveLAN to connect

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 20:29:36 PDT

on 30/05/03 23:12, Zachery Bir at zbir_at_urbanape.com wrote:

> Hey, all.
>
> I just registered Noguchi's WaveLAN driver, and was all ready to try
> out Escale over TCP/IP.
>
> I've installed the Dock TCP/IP extension distributed with Escale, and I
> have my Worksites properly set up. It tries really hard and gets as far
> as "Connecting to the Internet..." before timing out and giving me this:
>
> Dock TCP/IP
> NIE Error:
> Problem connecting. DHCP server
> unavailable or unable to configure
> this device
>
> It's a Lucent Technologies Orinoco Silver. My base station at home is
> an Apple Airport Extreme in 802.11g/802.11b compatibility mode with
> 128bit WEP.
>
> I didn't see anywhere on the Newt, in any of its twisty little
> passages, a place to configure the address of the DHCP server, but it's
> quite possible I overlooked it.
>
> Any ideas? I recall this card working with my previous base station (a
> Linksys wireless router without WEP turned on).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Zac

Zac,

Did you try with WEP turned off? There are been some reports that there are
some problems with WEP. I, myself, haven't been able to use it with WEP...

Then, the next question will be: did you create a specific internet setup
for your ORiNOCO card? Did you then create a worksite specifically using
that setup? That's where you put the configuration.

-Laurent.

GIGO /gi:'goh/ [acronym]: 1. `Garbage In, Garbage Out' -- usually said in
response to lusers who complain that a program didn't "do the right thing"
when given imperfect input or otherwise mistreated in some way. Also
commonly used to describe failures in human decision making due to faulty,
incomplete, or imprecise data. 2. `Garbage In, Gospel Out': this more recent
expansion is a sardonic comment on the tendency human beings have to put
excessive trust in `computerized' data.
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html