Re: [NTLK] US Copyrights: 3 yrs. exemption for obsolete platforms?

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Sun Nov 02 2003 - 14:00:37 PST

> This covers 'software' that is copyrighted. It seems the smallest
> impact for Newtonians would be that UNNA can now host any piece of
> software that was originally released on:
>
> Floppies
> Linear Flash Cards
> Came with the Newton
>
> but not necessarily anything that also had original-source
> Internet-based distribution.

I'll admit, I read through the original document rather quickly, but I
don't recall anything that defined what "obsolete" means in this
context. And I'm not sure I see why the delivery method would have any
bearing; early versions of say, Photoshop or Quark XPress were
delivered on Floppy Discs, but don't later versions (that aren't) still
use the some of the same code that would (presumably) still be
protected? (Quark might be a bad example in this case, as some versions
used a hardware "dongle" for copy protection.) Some of Apple's HR
technology appears to have found its' way into Inkwell; why would the
source of that technology now be free for other people to craack or
exploit?

If anything, I would think this covers software owned by companies that
no longer exist as legal entities.

Gotta go back and try to make sense of the legal mumbo jumbo...

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html