Re: [NTLK] Audio In/Out Adaptor and Keyboard

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Nov 05 2003 - 06:51:22 PST

Goodwin, Greg wrote:

> My solution for the Audio In/Out was to make one cable for Audio in, and
> another for Audio out. We added the wire for the audio in and out, quite
> simple. It was the soddering that was the fun part. Then we added a
> capasitor to have the Newton recognize when an adaptor was plugged in
> (IE... powerup when the connector was added).

Is a capacitor necessary for that? I thought that just pulling the right pin
to ground was enough. Not that I'm gonna go out and make one anytime soon :)

> Maybe someone can answer for me... is it possible to get the connectors
> from Kensington still? I tried to call them a while back with no luck. I
> have a few extra.

They are all gone. The few that are still out there are all that's left. I
have a few male and possible one female connector around.

> As for the keyboard... wondered that myself. Supposedly Apple was working
> on something like that. Anyone have an idea where you would connect such
> a keyboard inside the Newton? I'm guessing is at the same place where the
> SER-001 goes.

Nope. On your 2000 or 2100, behind where the screen door clips on, there is
a plastic knockout right by the seam between the case halves near the power
switch. Presumably this was for some kind of keyboard or buttons that would
be integrated into the screen door. I don't know if there was ever even a
prototype of it.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html