Re: [NTLK] Returning from defection

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 05:20:32 PST

Aux environs du 13/11/03 à 14:05 +0100, sous le titre "[NTLK]
Returning from defection", Marcel van der Boom prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>I was wondering whether there are initiative for the following:
>
>1. adapting unixnpi, so it can use the tcp/ip dock extention
>2. porting the DCL stuff to Linux.

It currently compiles on Linux, especially the LaHotte example.

I think the issue with browsing is that Newton's Dock application is
not very much compatible with Newton Internet Enabler and you can be
randomly disconnected with a -4 error. This is why I didn't make that
much noise about LaHotte, but I was able to establish a transatlantic
Dock connection with a Linux box in Toronto.

It works much better locally, so you probably don't need to port
UnixNPI to TCP/IP in fact.

Install Jam (make sure you have Jam 2.6 from Perforce). Most Linux
distributions have a port/package for it.

Grab the DCL source code from CVS (or use a recent tarball).
Instructions are here: http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/

Then do:

cd whatever path to DCL root.
cd "K Libs/_Build_/Jam"
jam
cd "../../Desktop Connection Library/_Build_/Jam"
jam
build.LINUX/LaHotte

then it should say:
Attente d'une connexion (some hexa-some hexa)

This means that the Dock server is running on your machine on port
3679 (IANA assigned port for this protocol). Of course, it doesn't do
RendezVous. You can connect with either Thomas' Dock TCP/IP module or
ours (make sure you use version 1.1). It will let you browse from /
and install packages.

Alternatively, the binaries are compiled nightly for Linux x86.
http://www.kallisys.com/files/newton/DCL/nightlies/misato/20031108031500.tgz
(this includes the source. The binary for LaHotte is in Jam/DCL/).

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any problem.

BTW, I just realized that with Panther, Apple udpated /etc/services
by synchronizing it with FreeBSD and the ports 3679 and 3680 are
declared there.

Paul

--
Philosophie de baignoire - consultations sur rendez-vous.
NPDS/NewtonOS: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/