Re: [NTLK] Who Wants Shell Access?

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 18:18:04 PST

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 4:56 PM, Robert JA Basilio Jr. wrote:
> What about intl dial up? Or should intl users (those outside North
America)
> be charged more for the privilege?

You may have gathered by now, I do live in the United States. Beautiful
South Lake Tahoe, California in fact. Long Distance in the U.S. (being as
competitive as it is) is pretty affordable. Less than 3 cents a minute at
the low end.

I would imagine, at first, I would offer dial-in access via a local (local
to me) phone number and callers would be responsible for paying for the 3
cents a minute. If international callers wanted to dial in, there really
isn't anything to stop them, except maybe line quality over that distance.

Optimally, for international users, local phone numbers and local servers
(local to the user that is) should be used. Does anybody have some spare
desk space, 2 or 3 POTS lines and a High Speed connection to the Internet?
I'll build you a shell server and you can make a little money (to support
your internet habit ;-) for yourself. But, for all practicality purposes, I
doubt I'll be able to provide true international service from my location.
Of course, if I think really big...franchises...coffee houses...hmmm...

Ron

--
Sent using Cyberdog for Mac OS
--