[NTLK] No Newts ...?

From: Glen Warner (gdwarner_at_mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2003 - 08:15:47 PST

Found this on Macosrumors.com today ... thought I'd pass it along.

--gdw

Thursday, November 20 5:17 PM
Stu Guthrie writes: Could please tell me what the latest news with an
Apple tablet notebook computer is?

Although it's not completely out of the realm of possibility, all
available information over the past eight years has shown that Apple
-- and more specifically its leadership in the form of Steve Jobs and
the Board of Directors he has assembled -- does not consider the
tablet a viable major product line for the company. The arguments are
much the same as with hand-helds or cell phones; the technology is
still evolving too rapidly, margins are too thin, and there are too
many weak points in the basic concepts of the way the technology
currently exists (primarily, input devices and must-have applications).
As far as we are aware, Apple has no active development projects for
a tablet-type device. It does not plan to deviate from the basic
computer types (pro tower, desktops, laptops, rackmount servers) for
the foreseeable future, when it comes to Macs. Its non-computer
devices will essentially be appliances, full-blown computer
alternatives like hand-helds, cell phones, or tablets.
Apple wants to innovate strongly in the computer and digital-hub
devices markets, but it has learned from past experience not to try to
push too far outside those envelopes. Apple has its eye on
bringing small-company innovation to the mass markets....not
mass-market innovation to the small markets.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html