Re: [NTLK] Classic Appletalk under Mac OS 10.3? This is wierd!

From: NewtonGuy (newtonpad_at_alltel.net)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2003 - 12:08:52 PST

Under 10.3 you cannot use a crossover cable to connect the newton to
the Mac.
This is because the card on the newton is not active unless you try to
make a connection.

If you connect the newton to you Mac with a crossover and look at the
network prefs on the Mac
if will say that the ethernet cable is unpluged. When you try to
connect from your newton it will
say on the Mac that there is a ethernet cable connected. At that time
the Mac will start appletalk.

However, the newton does not wait long enough for appletalk to activate
and disconnects. When the
newton disconnects the Mac sees that there is not an active connection.
And the network prefs will
say that there is not a cable connected. At the same time appletalk
stops.

The solution is to connect both with patch cables to a powered hub or
switch. This will show the necessary
power at the end of the cable the Mac needs to realize the cable is
connected.

After that the newton will connect with no problem.

A switch works better than a hub but cost more....

I preferred the old system where appletalk was active unless I switched
it off. But they have done this "thinking they were
making things better" and we have to live with it.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html