[NTLK] Fun with new CF card and MP3's

From: Dave Bonhoff (gtidave_at_newted.dyndns.org)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 10:54:31 PST

Hi!

I've just bought a 512 MB CF card for my Newton... Yes, it is
excessive, but it was on sale and why go small? [;^) I have
registered the ATA driver and am using the latest version.

The first thing that I noticed is that Heaven or Hell won't run if any
partition of the card is mounted. I had it set to run when powering
down and to show the progress bar. It pops up and just as quickly
disappears before my Newt shuts down. Has anyone else noticed this
behavior? Is there a different '61 utility that I should be using?
Obviously, my Newt is a 2100.

I've been installing some MP3's for MadMax playback. I have encoded
the tracks to mono at 48kbps using a Fraunhofer MPEG encoder. Would a
PMLAME encoder be better? I guess I could encode a track and test it,
but my next issue suggests why I haven't. Since I'm running OS X, I
figured the fastest and easiest way to get tracks installed would be to
turn on personal web sharing and use NHttpLib over wifi. Well, I'm
patient, but it is just silly slow. 5 min to actually begin the
download, and 20+ min for a 2.8MB track. I see the thinking logo quite
often. Once I put the file away to MadMax, I've tried to move them
to a different partition on my card, but my Newt hangs when I try to do
this. If I leave it long enough, it will eventually move the track,
but now we are talking about a total of 45 min to an hour per track
depending on size.

I also get the following error trying to fetch a 16MB (45 min live
session) track:

Storage
Sorry, a problem has occurred (-10622)

I also have been restarting my Newt very frequently since it is hanging
quite often, like while filing large files. Patience, I know, but
sometimes I need to use my friend. Thank you, Paul, for journaling. I
haven't lost any data or seen any corruption despite my actions! Do I
need to change the cache sizes in the ATA prefs? If so, any
suggestions what size?

Yes, I see that there is a common theme here, I'm trying new things
with new hardware and new software on my Newton. {:^)

Thanks for your suggestions!
Dave

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html