Re: [NTLK] Serial /USB/Hub

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Oct 03 2003 - 10:23:35 PDT

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 08:49 AM, Gary Meader wrote:

> I've read a hundred threads about this, but can't seem to get
> connected. My
> eMate has the Keyspan Serial to USB adapter,

(Actually the keyspan is a USB to serial adapter for the G4 :~>)
> I've got NCU on my G4 and
> here's what goes on: I open NCU and it tells me to begin by
> establishing a
> connection to my Newton. OK. I go to Dock, pick 'connect via serial,
> choose OS9.2.2 in the 'which computer' window, and tap connect.
There shouldn't be a "which computer" window if I recall. Serial
connections just go. The "which computer" window is for Appletalk,
which WILL NOT WORK with the keyspan.

> comes up that says the connection is being terminated because the
> desktop
> didn't respond. Apple talk is turned on, and so I try connecting via
> Apple
> Talk. No dice. Needless to say, this is very frustrating. So, my
> main
> question(s) today are; Is the fact that I'm going from the eMate into
> a USB
> hub a problem?
Try going directly...
> Do I absolutely need to use the dongle I got from J&K inc.
> with the serial adapter?
No, not with the eMate, which has a perfectly good mini din 8.
> And if I do, should I still pick 'serial' in the
> 'connect via' window?
Yes it should be serial.
> The eMate seems to be fine in all other regards, and
> I'm very anxious to use it. Thanks
Make sure you have the proper keyspan drivers installed on the G4, and
that NCU is trying to use the correct port.

Marty

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html