Re: [NTLK] Death of the PDA

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 11:22:17 PDT

At 06:00 PM 10/20/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>The power of modern integrated CPUs like Intel's X-Scale have meant
>that the PDA has expanded greatly in the last 2 years.

Perhaps this is off topic, and I'm sure that people will 1) misunderstand
what I am saying and 2) put all sorts of words in my mouth...but - some
shotgun thoughts.

A while ago there was a message about Sculley and his time with the Newton
and how Apple had actually made money on this project - but there was no
explanation how.

After a slight bit of digging and reading articles on the Newton
architecture and MMUs, there was a reference to Apple being in on the setup
of ARM with Acorn and VLSI. As an initial shareholder they must benefit
when companies license the core.

Digital made the StrongARM that is in the 2X00s. Digital, gets bought by
Compaq, then HP. Compaq iPaq used Intel StrongARM processor and now uses an
XScale.

The XScale has an ARM core and Intel also made something known as the
SA-1110, the StrongARM SA-1110.

So, when you buy a HP, Compaq, Toshiba, Philips, NEC, Hitachi or whichever
PDA 1) give a nod to the Newton project 2) Steve gets paid.

I guess it's like VHS vs. Beta, Sony held lots of patents on VHS. Now Apple
gets paid when you buy Windows (CE).

Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html