Re: [NTLK] Death of the PDA

From: Brian Pearce (bpearce_at_cloud9.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 2003 - 12:03:30 PDT

> After a slight bit of digging and reading articles on the Newton
> architecture and MMUs, there was a reference to Apple being in on the
> setup
> of ARM with Acorn and VLSI. As an initial shareholder they must benefit
> when companies license the core.

I don't know that this is the case (I've never seen this source of
revenue called out in the information Apple is required to disclose to
the public), but if you look at Apple's Quarterly Reports over the past
several years, they've made a *handsome* profit from sales of shares of
ARM Holdings. (The most recent sale, as far as I can tell, was a gain
of $89 million resulting from the sale of approximately 23 million
shares reported in 2Q 2001.)

BRIAN/bpearce_at_cloud9.net

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html