Re: [NTLK] FAT Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #549

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 06:36:00 PDT

Paul Guyot wrote:

> First, I cannot divide a store in soup files. This is what Victor mentioned.
>
> Second, this would add an unnecessary overhead.

I figured that by now, had you wanted to do this, it would be done :)

> What I consider is offering the possibility to backup to a file. Like
> you select the soups & packages you want to backup and they'll be
> saved in a flat file on the FAT partition. It would achieve exactly
> what you're looking for, without the slow-ness. Of course, you could
> have a mix card with a FAT partition (or more) and a Newton store (or
> more).

Have you ever seen an OS that supports a partition table on a CF card?
Actually I should try this right now with Win2000!

-I take my 4MB CF card (FAT formatted), and partition it into two Newton
stores with ATA Support.
-I plug it into my USB CF reader and plug that into my Win2000 box.
-In Disk Management, it still sees one 4MB partition.
-When I try to open the drive, it says that the card is not formatted. So I
can't manage the partitions from Win2000, which leads me to believe that it
won't recognize more that one partition on a flash card. Are there other
OSes (OS X) that will recognize partitions on a CF card? I'm sure that Linux
and other *nices would.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html