Re: [NTLK] FAT Support through APIs: Was Re: newtontalk Digest V3 #549

From: ADyson (ADyson_at_go.to)
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 08:31:29 PDT

If I can ask a silly question, since I'm not that familiar with programming
device drivers. I'm curious to know what exactly is stopping someone from
writing a device driver that would recognize a Newton formatted memory card.
Are there not some recognizable blocks of information on the card? I'm not
sure if I'm asking this question correctly but it would be cool if there was
some software running under NT (or some other OS for that matter) that could
interact directly with the Newton formatted card. Is it a matter that the
data is compressed and therefore not recognizable? Maybe Paul can enlighten
us a bit more on how the data is actually stored on the card.

>Have you ever seen an OS that supports a partition table on a CF card?
>Actually I should try this right now with Win2000!
.
.
>-When I try to open the drive, it says that the card is not formatted. So
>can't manage the partitions from Win2000, which leads me to believe that it
>won't recognize more that one partition on a flash card. Are there other
>OSes (OS X) that will recognize partitions on a CF card? I'm sure that
Linux

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html