Re: [NTLK] TCP/IP on Newton?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2003 - 04:47:36 PDT

Michael J. Hußmann wrote:

> As far as I know, WiFi is a stricter standard than 802.11b, so it's not
> really the same. FireWire was FireWire long before it became a standard
> as IEEE1394, so the "boring" name came later. "SMB", as far as I know, is
> just a shorthand for "Samba", so it's actually the same name.

WiFi is some kind of wireless product certification for interoperability.
http://www.weca.net/

SMB actually stands for Server Message Block, the protocol that MS Networking
and Samba is built on (which was originally a joint project between a handful
of companies back in the 80s).
http://www.cknow.com/ckinfo/acro_s/smb_1.shtml

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html