Re: [NTLK] Ethernet driver questions

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sat Oct 25 2003 - 16:04:08 PDT

First of all: Frank, if you want more detailed answers, then mail me off-list
with URLs to what you're referencing! Thanks.

Frank Gruendel wrote:

> 1) Victor's site has two packages for TDK cards: TDKEthernet.pkg and
> tdk0821.pkg. Both appear as TDKEthernet in the Newton's extras folder,
> hence they seem to be mutually exclusive. Whichever is installed first will
> result in it being impossible to install the other one. What is the
> difference between the two, and which one should be used?

One is for TDK combo cards, the other is for the TDK LAK-CD021, LAK-CD021AX
and LAK-CD021BX, Fujitsu FMV-J182, FMV-J182A, and RATOC REX-R280.

> 2) There are some packages that do not have an icon in the Extras folder
> after installation, but can be found in the Extensions folder instead. What
> is the difference?

Packages that have auto parts automagiclly get filed in Extensions, I believe.

> 3) This is a bit like #1, only for Farallon cards. There are Farallon.pkg
> and FarallonEthernet.pkg, both of which appear as FarallonEnet in the
> Extras folder and can't be installed at the same time. Which of the two
> should be used, and what is the difference?

No idea... are they the same file?

When you say "on my site" do you mean http://www.chuma.org/newton/ethernet/ ?

> 4) There is a DaynaCOM folder on Victor's site which contains Netwave.pkg.
> Am I right in assuming that this is a driver for WaveLan cards, not for
> Ethernet cards connected via an Ethernet cable?

That's for the DaynaCOM Roamer products, which were early wireless cards See:
http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB2c

Hirochi doesn't let anyone else distribute the WaveLan driver, so it's not on
UNNA.

> 5) The ne2k folder on Victor's site contains four packages: ne2k.pkg,
> ne2k_plu.pkg, NE2K Plus.pkg and Newton Devices.pkg. The readme in this
> folder says that these are a copy of a Proxim RangeLAN2 Wireless PC Card
> driver and the NE2k wired ethernet driver, but omits to say which is which.
> It also omits to say why there are three drivers instead of two. Newton
> Devices.pkg appears to be a patched version required to run them. Which of
> the tree drivers is which? Is the patched Newton Devices required for all
> three?

These are likely built from the sample NE2000 project that comes with the
Lantern DDK. I wouldn't distribute them simply because I don't know what they
might or might not recognize.

> 6) Are there known problems with other cards (i. e. cards that do NOT need
> the patched Newton Devices) if the patched version is installed?

I don't think so. I've always had the "patched" one for using my Proxim
RangeLAN2 card. The patched and unpatched packages do have different dates
and versions I believe.

> 7) As if I wasn't confused enough already, there's another folder ne2kplus
> next to the ne2k folder mentioned in #5. This one contains a package
> NE2KPlus.pkg (note the missing space between K and P, otherwise the name is
> the same as in #5). What's up with this one?

?!

> 8) The Proxim folder on Victor's site contains tree packages: newton_d.pkg,
> proxim.pkg and ProximExtras.pkg. The readme says that "This driver is for
> the Proxim RangeLAN2 series of wireless network cards." Which of the three
> are they talking about, and what are the other two for?

Proxim.pkg is the actual driver. ProximExtras will let you set certain
options by adding a new type of entry in Owner Info. newton_d.pkg is the
patched Newton Devices.

> 9) Same as #1 and #3, this time with LucentWaveLAN_v1.pkg and
> LucentWaveLAN2.pkg.

?!

> 10) There is a driver from a guy named Hiroshi that is frequently mentioned
> here. Amazingly it appears to be not on the unna cd. Would it make sense
> to add that one to the card? If yes, where can I find it?

See #4. Hirochi made me remove it.

> 11) Are there any known incompatibilities or other problems if ALL ethernet
> drivers available for the Newton are installed at the same time?

I don't know, we'll have to find out :)

> 12) In the NIE2.0 package there are a couple of packages that appear to be
> unnecceary for Ethernet connections: MODMSUP.PKG and ISPTMPLT.PKG
> (Modem-Serial Support), LOCTSUP.PKG (LocalTalk Support). Am I right in
> assuming that these aren't required for Ethernet? If I put them on the
> card, too, could they interfere with any of the Ethernet drivers?

They won't interfere.

> 13) Other than Hiroshi's driver (of which I know that it is shareware), are
> there any issues that would forbid making the drivers on Victors's site
> available for download? Are all freeware, shareware or public domain?

All were freely available.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html