Re: [NTLK] Ethernet driver questions

From: Jochen Schäfer (js.josch_at_gmx.de)
Date: Sun Oct 26 2003 - 10:39:16 PST

Victor Rehorst wrote:
<SNIP>

>>5) The ne2k folder on Victor's site contains four packages: ne2k.pkg,
>>ne2k_plu.pkg, NE2K Plus.pkg and Newton Devices.pkg. The readme in this
>>folder says that these are a copy of a Proxim RangeLAN2 Wireless PC Card
>>driver and the NE2k wired ethernet driver, but omits to say which is which.
>>It also omits to say why there are three drivers instead of two. Newton
>>Devices.pkg appears to be a patched version required to run them. Which of
>>the tree drivers is which? Is the patched Newton Devices required for all
>>three?
>>

>These are likely built from the sample NE2000 project that comes with the
>Lantern DDK. I wouldn't distribute them simply because I don't know what they
>might or might not recognize.

Correct. The Newton Devices is necessary for the ne2k driver to work.
the ne2k and the ne2k plus packages are functionally the same, the plus
one is an example for implementing a pref slip.
<SNIP>

>>7) As if I wasn't confused enough already, there's another folder ne2kplus
>>next to the ne2k folder mentioned in #5. This one contains a package
>>NE2KPlus.pkg (note the missing space between K and P, otherwise the name is
>>the same as in #5). What's up with this one?
>>

>?!

That's a version I did, so that the NE2K recognizes my network card (a
Compex Linkport Enet-B) which is NE2K-compatible, but uses a different
CARD-ID. For more informations look at my website
http://www.joschs-robotics.de/newton.

Jochen

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html