Re: [NTLK] ANUG - was Back To School Sale" - Bran

From: Andrei Chichak (acpmiedm_at_telusplanet.net)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2003 - 14:33:37 PDT

At 10:21 PM 9/4/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>Victor Rehorst wrote:
> >> If I come down to Calgary, I could bring that SCSI System 7 drive
> >> with the
> >> Armistice board software on it...hmm
> > I might drive to Calgary from Toronto for that.
>
>Without a smiley... 7000 kilometers? Was that board that special?

Armistice was "A Newton on a Board". A Nubus board that you plug into the
back of your 68K Mac. The 1.x operating system and ROM image was downloaded
into RAM and the ARM processor went about it's business.

Screen output was done on your Mac display and pen input was done using the
mouse. It had a serial port and a PCMCIA slot that stuck out of the back of
your Mac.

There is another one in town here that I used to use that I am trying to
secure. Grant has one but is missing the ROM image files and Mac interface
programs, but I have those on my SCSI Mac 7.x disk (but no Mac to play with
:-( )

I was using it for development at one of my previous jobs. I also have a
pre-production Newton "NotePad" which eventually became the OMP. But this
one is special, it has a big chunk chopped out of the back cover and a half
size PCMCIA card and socket, wire wrapped onto the bus. It also came with a
prototype slip case made by Targus. That I do have at home.

I am willing to bring my treasures down to Calgary, my wife has a sister
that lives there. No big deal.

Andrei

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html