Re: [NTLK] Newton Web Browser?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2003 - 05:15:29 PDT

on 09/09/03 05:00, Matt Janeczek at MJJ14_at_aol.com wrote:

> Don't all you guys miss the 1994-1996 or 7 era of the internet, before
> all the ridiculous commercialization we have today? Sites back then
> were simple, yet elegant and useful. You didn't have to wait for Java
> to load or install a million plugins that end up crashing your web
> browser. You were able to cruise ftp sites for just about any kind of
> file you wanted. Having a 14.4 modem was not a big deal, and when the
> 33.6 and later 56 modems came out, you might as well have had DSL! :-)
> I don't know, I always post nostalgic items to this email list,
> probably more than I do technical ones. But I guess that is just me,
> missing the days when I first had my Performa and life was good...

Yes, I do remember those days. I was first exposed to the Internet in 1992.
Back then, you were lucky if you could find the web site of any company. No
spam, no worm, no virus. Life was good...

-Laurent.

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System
V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1)
choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally,
to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular
definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."
List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html