Re: [NTLK] Printijg from your Newton

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2003 - 11:40:15 PDT

Allan Ngaparu wrote:
> I havent tried printing from my Newton yet and was wondering what
> printers
> some of you use and what in particular what printer would be good for
> printing using IrDa connection rather than cables. Your suggestions and
> ideas are appreciated

If you check the archives of May you'll find a lot of suggestions under
the subject line: 'Printing from the Newton'

Maybe a good addition to the FAQ as well?

Here are the printers that got posted to the list in May and the latest
that have been added at the bottom:

LaserWriter Pro 630 via Ethernet. Also used Localtalk via SER-001
HP 5MP thru IrDa. Works like a charm, just a bit slow.
HP LaserJet 4mp connected to a print server, via Appletalk on the
network.
HP LaserJet 5p on a JetDirect, also via Appletalk.

Newton 2100 => Apple Base Station => Duo 230 docked => Freedom of
Press => Local Talk Bridge => HP Deskwriter 600

Apple StyleWriter - direct serial
BLP Laser - AppleTalk via phonenet
Epson 740 - direct serial, Print Pack
Epson 780 - Print Pack
Epson 1200 - Print Pack
HP PhotoSmart 1000 via printpack
HP PhotoSmart P1100 (connection not reported)
Directly to Apple Personal LaserWriter NTR. (It has LocalTalk, RS-232
Serial, and Parallel ports, so I just use a standard Mac Printer Cable
between it and my MP2100 and print via AppleTalk. Works like a charm,
prints PostScript.)
HPLaserjet 4000/4100 using the print pack
HP Laserjet 2100 thru IRDA
HP deskjet 340 via Ir remote
StyleWriter II (Printing from notes is blocky, however printing from
NewtWorks is excellent and quite fast)
HP 450 DeskJet using IrDA
HP LaserJet 4M Plus via ethernet; also to parallel port of same printer
via PrintPack cable.
Xerox DocuPrint N17 via AppleTalk over Ethernet
(Basically any printer that is PostScript and supports Appletalk over
Ethernet
(EtherTalk) will work with the Newt)
HP Laserjet 6P via IRDA
QMS 2030 via Ethernet
QMS 450 (?) via Localtalk
Old Apple laser Writer IIg connected via a HUB/Switch
HP340 via IrDA
HP1215 via IrDA
Epson 740 (add Epson driver) Via PrintPack 2.0 parallel cable
HP340 via PrintPack 2.0 parallel cable
HP1215 via PrintPack 2.0 parallel cable
HP LaserJet 5MP via EtherTalk
HP Color LaserJet 4000* via EtherTalk (*not in color, just B&W)
HP 940c using the parallel port and a PowerPrint serial-to-parallel
cable
HP DeskJet 340 using the HP Infrared adapter and IrDA
Apple Stylewriter II via serial
HP DeskWriter 320 w/ my MP130, via serial
HP DeskJet 340 w/ IrDA adapter

Special remark: Be sure to get the latest driver for the HP LaserJets.
(version?)
It boosts print speed via IrDA dramatically.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html